Show Notes for Episode #29…
There’s a great TED talk titled: How I Became an Entrepreneur at 66.
In this talk, Paul Tasner shares a story that starts just a few days before Christmas in 2009.
It’s Friday afternoon at the office. Paul is Director of Operations at a consumer products company in San Francisco. As the business day winds down, suddenly Paul is invited to an unexpected meeting…
Sadly, this unexpected meeting becomes his exit interview. Quite a few others were let go that same day, but Paul’s exit was particularly stinging – he was 64-years-old. Forty-plus years of continuous employment for companies large and small and now it was over.
But there’s a happy ending, as this prompted Paul to launch PulpWorks – a business that’s now thriving. He also shared a couple of powerful takeaways at the end of his talk:
- Entrepreneurs age 60 and older have a 70% success rate. He says, “We’re like the Golden State Warriors of entrepreneurs!”
- While there were many helpful resources out there for him, the one thing he longed for most that was lacking? To connect with other first-time entrepreneurs his age
Happily, that’s a need we’re tackling.
Hot Topic #2: Side Gigs, Savings and Retirement
Side hustle gigs are catching on with the elder segment and we shared an excerpt from a recent segment airing on WBNS 10TV News in Columbus, OH.
A few noteworthy Gig Economy stats referenced in this segment:
- More than 1/3 of those working side gigs call out “insufficient savings” as their #1 concern
- 65% of those age 35-44 are side hustling to boost their retirement nest egg
- 76% of those age 55 and older putting side-hustle money earned directly into retirement accounts
Joining us at the Retirepreneur Watercooler…
Meet Dawn Starks
She’s been a financial planner for more than twenty years. In the early days of her practice, she hosted a call-in radio show in Asheville, NC called Money Matters. Now, with SimpleMoneyPro, she’s continuing to share her valuable insights on her blog, podcast, and through soon-to-be released online courses.
Be sure to check out her website for a wealth of great information: www.simplemoneypro.com